When sending tokens on Bitcoin and Ethereum, you need to pay miner fees in BTC and ETH, whereas on TRON, bandwidth and energy are consumed. If there's a shortage of bandwidth and energy, TRX will be burned.
This article will show you how to use energy and bandwidth to achieve low-cost transfers.
Energy and Bandwidth
In TRON, energy and bandwidth are system resources used for transfers and smart contract calls. Specifically:
- Bandwidth represents the byte size of a transaction. For example, a 250-byte transfer consumes 250 bandwidth. Each account can get a free quota of 600 bandwidth points daily after activation.
- Energy represents the time consumed to execute a smart contract. For example, if a contract execution consumes 100 μs, it will use 100 energy. Unlike bandwidth, which is automatically replenished daily, accounts do not receive free energy without staking TRX. They must stake TRX to acquire energy.
It's important to note that different types of transfers consume varying resources.
- Transferring TRX and TRC-10 tokens: Only consumes bandwidth, not energy. Currently, each TRX transfer consumes a fixed 268 bandwidth. Given the daily free bandwidth quota, two TRX transactions can be made for free.
Transferring TRC-20 tokens (such as USDT): Requires both bandwidth and energy. The amount consumed depends on whether the recipient's wallet contains USDT and the current state of the TRON network.
- If the recipient's wallet contains USDT, each transaction consumes about 31,895 energy (about 13.3959 TRX) and 345 bandwidth (about 0.345 TRX).
- If the recipient's wallet does not contain USDT, each transaction consumes about 64,895 energy (about 27.2559 TRX) and 345 bandwidth (about 0.345 TRX).
Note: Transactions will first consume the energy and bandwidth in the account. If resources are insufficient, TRX will be automatically burned. Due to the characteristics of blockchain, TRX paid in a failed transaction will not be refunded. Therefore, to avoid unnecessary losses, please ensure there is enough TRX in your account.
How to Obtain Energy and Bandwidth?
There are four ways to obtain energy, each with its features and applicable scenarios. Choose based on your needs.
Energy Subsidy (Exclusive to imToken Users)
- Suitable for: Users who occasionally transfers USDT.
- How to: Engage in the "Fee-Free Transfers" campaign on Feee.io, receiving energy for complimentary USDT transfers. Approximately 500 slots are available each day, and users can participate in the campaign by clicking "Rent" on the TRON wallet page (Check the step-by-step tutorial here).
- Features: Subsidies are limited and require the recipient's address to already have USDT.
Renting Energy with TRX
- Suitable for: Users who need flexible energy use without long-term capital lock-up.
- How to: Click 'Rent' on the TRON wallet page to enter Feee.io. Input the rent amount and duration, then click 'Pay' (Check the step-by-step tutorial here).
- Features: No need to freeze a large amount of TRX. A single USDT transfer costs only about 3.76 TRX, saving up to 73% fees.
Freezing TRX to Get Energy
- Suitable for: Users with a large amount of TRX and frequent transfer needs.
- How to: Navigate to "Resource" in your TRON wallet, click TRONSCAN to enter Tron Stake 2.0, and choose the desired resource type. Input the quantity of TRX you'd like to freeze, with a recommended range of 2,000 to 3,000.
- Features: Requires freezing a large amount of TRX while retaining voting rights and without the risk of losing any TRX. Unfreezing takes 14 days.
Burning TRX for Energy
- Suitable for: Users who are in urgent need of energy.
- How to: Burning 1 TRX directly yields 2380.95238 energy.
- Features: Quickly obtains energy without freezing or renting.
After obtaining energy in any of the above ways, you can proceed with the transfer.
Note:Transaction on the blockchain is irreversible. For large amounts of transfers, please conduct a small test transfer first.
Risk Warning: The content of this article does not constitute any form of investment advice or recommendation. imToken does not make any guarantees and promises for the third-party services and products mentioned in this article, nor assume any responsibility. Token investment has risks. You should carefully evaluate these investment risks and consult with relevant professionals to make your own decisions.