Your assets are at risk of being stolen if you download a fake imToken App, and the assets in the fake wallet need to be transferred ASAP. If you only have one mobile device, please follow this tutorial to transfer your assets.
Note: If you have two mobile devices, please refer to this blog How to transfer assets safely if you have two phones?
Warning: Your assets are still at risk of being stolen if you make a mistake when transferring assets(detailed explanations can be found at the end of the blog). Be sure you follow the tutorial below.
Back up the mnemonic of the fake App
- Open the fake App, click “My Profile”-“Manage”-“Backup Wallet”, enter the password then write down the mnemonic (12 English words) on a piece of paper and verify the words again to ensure the correctness of the mnemonic
- If you have a wallet other than your identity wallet, go to the "Manage your wallet" page, scroll up the page, find the wallet you created/imported, click "Backup Wallet", and then write down the mnemonic.
Make sure to back up both these wallets’ mnemonic phrases correctly!
Uninstall the fake App on your phone, then download real imToken from our official website: https://token.im. Be sure to check the website security certificate before downloading!
How to check the security certificate of a website?
If you download imToken from the Apple App Store, Please confirm that the developer of imToken is IMTOKEN PTE.LTD., and all others are fake Apps.
Create identity wallet
- Open imToken -> Click “Create Identity” -> Set the wallet info -> Click “Create”
- Backup the Mnemonic and verify the words again to ensure the correctness of the mnemonic
Note: Once someone gets your mnemonic, it is equivalent to controlling your wallet. Keep the mnemonics away from the internet and do not lose it. If you lose your mnemonic phrase, it can’t be retrieved.
The simplest way to back up the mnemonic is to write it down on a piece of paper and keep it in a secure place.
- Click "My Profile" - "Manage your wallet" - "Add Wallet" and select the wallet which contains assets in the fake wallet. For example, if you have assets in the ETH wallet of the fake App and you need to transfer them to the new identity wallet you just created, then click “ETH”.
- Select "Mnemonic", enter the mnemonic (12 English words) of the fake App, set the password, and click "Confirm".
- Click the menu bar in the upper left corner, click “ETH” under Identity wallet, click the wallet address.
- Click "Copy" on the Receive page, return to the asset page, click the menu bar in the upper left corner to enter the wallet selection page, and scroll up the page to find the ETH wallet you imported earlier.
- Click the token you want to transfer. Click “Send”, enter the copied address of the new wallet. Click "All Balance" for the amount, and click "Next" to pay the miner fee.
Next, transfer all other tokens to the new wallet address in the same order as above. After all your funds have been successfully moved into the new wallet, uninstall the fake App, as all addresses used in the fake App are at risk, so please do not use them again!
Note: ETH is required as a miner's fee for ETH wallet transfers, and TRX is required for Tron wallet transfers to cover the energy and bandwidth consumed. If you do not have ETH or TRX in your wallet, please purchase it from an exchange and transfer it to your wallet.
After purchasing ETH/TRX from an exchange, be sure to select ETH/TRX when withdrawing coins.
- If you also have assets needed to transfer in other wallets such as BTC, Tron, etc. please repeat the "Moving assets" part and select the corresponding wallet on the Add Wallet page.
- After all the assets in the fake App are transferred to the new wallet, click "..." in the upper right corner of the fake wallet’s address and click "Remove". All addresses used in the fake App are at risk, so please do not use them again!
If you encounter any problem during the process, you can contact us via email@example.com. We’ll get you the help you need.
The 3 most common mistakes when moving assets
Please note that your assets are still at risk of being stolen if you make a mistake when transferring assets.
- Do not import the compromised addresses from the fake App into real imToken for continued use.
The mnemonic for addresses in the fake App has been leaked. So even if you import them into real imToken, your assets are still at risk of being stolen. To ensure that your funds are 100% safe, please create a new wallet with real imToken and uninstall the fake App after transferring all your funds into the new wallet.
- Do not create a wallet with the fake App you are currently using to then transfer the assets from the old address to the new one.
Since you are still using a fake imToken, the newly generated mnemonic for the wallet will still be leaked. Therefore, your assets in the wallet are still at risk of being stolen.
- Do not download a fake App from a scam website instead of the official website https://token.im.
If you download imToken through a third-party channel, or your friends or search engines such as Google, you are still highly likely to download a fake App.
We strongly recommend you to download imToken through our official website https://token.im. And remember to check the website security certificate before the download. You can find the tutorial on how to check the certificate in this blog.